-Latvian CUISINE –
Latvian Pork Chops (Karbonade) - recipe
boneless pork loin: 4 slices
eggs: 2 pcs.
mustard: 6 spoons
thick sour cream: 1 tablespoon
salt and pepper to taste
fat for frying (preferably homemade lard or clarified butter)
How to make Latvian Pork Chops (Karbonade)
1. Break the chops into thin sheets, sprinkle both sides with pepper and thoroughly grease with mustard.
2. Crack eggs in a deep plate, add cream, salt and mix until a uniform consistency is formed. Do not overdo the salt, as the mustard will already add sharpness to the cutlets.
3. Coat each cutlet in egg and breadcrumbs, thoroughly pressing the coating to the meat.
4. In a frying pan heat about 2 cm of fat, fry the meat in batches. After each frying, change the fat to fresh fat.
5. Transfer the fried cutlets to a paper towel to dry from excess fat. Leave them for 5 minutes to rest. The meat then closes up and is juicier than one cut fresh. Serve the chops with your favorite side dishes.